SUMMARY OF RULES
1. To avoid contact at home plate, the catcher is only required to touch home plate with possession of the ball before the runner arrives. The runner, to avoid contact, will touch the black mat. If the catcher is not on the white portion of the plate but tags the runner before he touches the black mat the runner is out. Interference by either the catcher or the runner will be the responsibility of the umpire.
AMENDED: To avoid contact at home plate, a line will be extended from home plate backwards to the backstop. The runner must touch the ground beyond this line before the catcher touches home plate while in possession of the ball. If the runner steps on home plate or the mat he is automatically out.
AMENDED 2006: This rule was amended to allow the catcher to touch home plate or the mat (providing the mat is in the proper placement).
AMENDED 2015: Treat the home plate line as a base. Runner only needs to touch or pass it with foot down. It is not �break the plane� as in football.
2. To avoid contact at home plate, a line half way between third and home plate will be drawn. If the runner passes this halfway mark and stops and the ball is thrown to the catcher who touches home plate, the runner is out. If the runner passes the halfway point and returns to third base, the runner will only be called out if the ball is thrown to the catcher who touches home plate. NOTE; crossing this line means having one foot completely over the line.
3. If one team has eight or nine players, that team may pick up one or two players from the other team if they have excess of the required number. If the other team does not provide players, the team may pick up players from the stands.
4. With regards to 4 above any team who picks up one or two players to make a team of 10, the players who are picked up can only
be dropped from the lineup (when additional players arrive) within the first 15 minutes of the game.
5. It was also voted that the pitchers were required to pitch from the rubber. (This however has not been followed in the past two years, but has allowed them to pitch within the circle).
AMENDED 2015: Pitcher must pitch from behind the rubber
6. It was passed that a batter that requires a runner cannot proceed beyond first base unless they hit a ground-rule double or a home run.
AMENDED: Once a batter takes a runner he must take a runner at each at bat for the remainder of the game.
7. In rainout games the next game will be a 4 point game unless you are at Meenan�s Cove where 2 seven inning games may be played as long as both captains agree if not it will be a 4 point game.
AMENDED: In the event that 2 games between the same teams are rained out there will be no 6 point games. If the rainouts are during the first 2 rotations of the schedule then the last 2 rotations will be two 4 point games. If the rainouts are in the 2nd and 3rd rotations of the schedule, then a 4 point game will be played in the 4th rotation and a make-up game will be played if necessary. If the rainouts occur in the 3rd and 4th rounds then a 4 point make-up game will be played if necessary.
8. All players require 12 games to be able to play in the playoffs.
9. If a player shows up and cannot bat or field but wishes to catch he will be allowed to do so. This is the only position he will play.
10. No player shall sit out 2 consecutive innings unless it is their choice to do so.
11. If a game is running late a new inning shall not be started within the last 10 minutes of the games allotted time slot. (i.e. for the 6:30 game a new inning shall not start after 8:05 and for the 8:15 game a new inning shall not start after 9:50)
12. At the 2005 AGM a motion was passed to only use ASA (Amateur Softball Association of America) approved bats within our league.
AMENDED 2015: Adopted the USSA bat to be used in addition to our present ASA
13. If two teams arrive at the ball field and by game time one team has less than eight players, that team will lose the game.
AMENDED: There is a 15 minute grace period for players to arrive before the game is forfeited.
14. AGM 2017 � Motion to have a line drawn at 65� from home plate behind the pitcher. Pitcher must pitch within the drawn box.
15. 2017 � Home Run Rule - Each team has a total of 5 home runs per game. Any ball hit out fo the park after the 5th home run will be considered an out. If both teams have 5 home runs then the can hit home runs again but cannot surpass +1.